Traverse City Parking Violations Bureau Office
located in the Larry C. Hardy Parking Garage
303 East State Street
Traverse City, Michigan 49686
Click here to pay parking citations online.
If you experience problems with the online payment system, please contact Traverse City Parking Services (231) 922-0241.
When paying citations by mail, please allow 3-5 days to ensure that your payment is received on time. Tickets are deemed paid when they are received at the Parking Violations Bureau Office.
Request an Appeal
- To appeal a citation, you must call our office. Written letters will be accepted after the open appeal is added to the system.
- You will need to provide your Name, Citation Number, Citation Issue Date, License Plate Number, Phone Number and Address or Email Address where appeal information can be sent.
- You will be provided an appeal number.
- If additional information is requested, it can be emailed to email@example.com, please reference your appeal number.
- You have 14 days from the citation issue date to appeal the citation.
- Appeals are resolved on Thursday mornings for both Level 1 and Level 2 appeals.
- Citations placed on open appeal will not escalate or accumulate additional fines.
- Citations will resume normal escalations 3 days after the judgment date for denied appeals.
- Level 1 - You must call our office and request an appeal and provide the information noted above.
- Level 2 - If you wish to reappeal, you must call our office and request an escalation to Level 2.
- Level 3* - You must call our office to request transfer to the Magistrate at the 86th District Court. Information will be gathered and used to fill out the required paperwork. You will be notified when you can stop by our office to sign the paperwork and a copy of your driver's license will be taken. The 86th District Court will notify you of your hearing date. *At any time, you can escalate to a Level 3 appeal.
Common City of Traverse City Parking Ordinances
Ordinance 410.04, Section D
(i) From November 16 through the following April 14, vehicles found parked on any street or alley between the hours of 3:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. may be towed at the owner's expense.
(ii) From April 15 through November 15, overnight parking between the hours of 3:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. is allowed on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday mornings only on any street where parking is otherwise allowed....
Meter Violations and Meter Coining
Ordinance 484.04, Sections A-C
(a)....whenever a vehicle is parked in the space adjacent to a parking meter, the operator of the vehicle shall activate the meter by depositing in the meter a United States coin of a denomination indicated on the parking meter legend... The parking meters must be activated from 8:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m., Monday through Saturday except holidays and except such other times or circumstances as designated by the City Manager.
(b) Overtime parking. No person shall leave any vehicle in any metered parking place when the meters must be activated for longer than the time indicated on the parking meter.... No person shall deposit or cause to be deposited in a parking meter coin for the purpose of increasing or extending the parking time of any vehicle beyond the legal parking time which had been established for the parkign space adjacent to the parking meter. It shall be a separate offense to park at a metered space for each period of time equal to the maximum allowed on the meter.
(c) A person who violated this section is responsible for a civil infraction subject to the fine indicated in Section 488.06.
Seven or more meter violations in one year.
Ordinance 488.06, Uniform Traffic Code, Offense 38
(38) Parking beyond time allowed on meter - 7 or more violations within one-year period (Codified Ordinance Section 484.04) will result in a fine of $75.00 per violation for the remainder of that calendar year.
For a complete PDF of the Traverse City Parking Ordinances, click here.
UPDATED NOVEMBER 20, 2014